Thursday, December 16, 2010

TWO YEARS AGO TODAY...

...I was walking through a Barnes and Noble.
I saw this book:
I'd seen it before, and once on another occasion I'd even picked it up. But two years ago today,
I bought it. I brought it home. I read it.
And I kid you not, my reading experience has never been the same. And I finally realized the audience that I primarily wanted to write for: young teens (older ones too, but targeting the younger ones).
So thanks, PJ, for opening up the door to Young Adult fiction.
It's been a fun and crazy ride. And it's not over yet.
:)


Most of us read YA, if not almost exclusively. What was that one book/series that really got you into the YA genre?

6 shout-outs!:

Jessica said...

I still need to read Percy jackson. Ive got The Lightning Thief on my shelf at home. Its been sitting, untouched for the past 10 months.

I would say Harry Potter really got me into the YA genre. Its incredible, and covers almost every genre. I love it.

Stephanie said...

Percy Jackson means a lot to me, too. I read that series right around the time I rediscovered YA books (I wrote about in a review of The Lost Hero on my blog). Another series I read around that time was the Spiderwick Chronicles--I had more fun reading that than I'd had reading anything since I was a kid, and it really made me see what I was missing from the books I was reading as an adult.

Katherine Langrish said...

I still haven't read Percy Jackson! But I never gave up reading kids and YA fiction, so the process been a continuum for me. Interesting to hear what Stephanie says about seeing 'what was missing' from the adult books she was reading - for me it's colour, joy, a strength and certainty.

StefanieEmmy said...

I've read the first HP when I was 10 or 11, so I think that one doesn't count for your question. Because after I turned 14 I almost only read books written for adults like Jodi Picoult, Tess Gerritsen and Kathy Reichs. I rediscoverd YA when I was 18 starting with The Hunger Games and Graceling (I dont't know if Graceling really is YA or only Fantasy - can't decide on that ^^)

I still have to read PJ btw xD

Anonymous said...

Hmm I'd have to say Twilight. I live in Portugal and before those books came out there was no market for them, I had no idea there was a genre called YA! So, when the film came out, I read the books and then joined Goodreads and found out there are books for teens (YAY!!) and this is the story

Tristan said...

I love love love this book! One of my absolute favorites of all time! I love finding others who also enjoy it! Glad to hear that it helped find out who you wanted to write for!

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Joifa Designs Birght Night and Cozy kit